Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter and Conference

HELLO!! 

This past week has FLOWN! Good Heavens I swear it was just last Wednesday. SCARY! 

This last week was super great! I hope that you all got to feel of the amazing spirit that Easter brings. Here in New York, with so many other churches around, everyone is celebrating Holy Week. A lot of people asked us what we do to celebrate Holy Week and we simply tell them, We believe every week is Holy Week. "We are always looking to be disciples of Christ." A lot of people really just don't understand what that means and others devote 3 days a week to going to church. We get a great variation of people around these parts. 

On Thursday we had Zone Conference. It is always so fun because we get to go downtown to the chapel at the temple. President talked a lot about teaching lessons with not a lot of fluff. But direct and straight forward. I'm not going to lie, after the conference I was feeling pretty down. I didn't seem to be doing anything right and I was just frustrated with myself. Luckily my companion is awesome and we were able to have a great chat about applying what we learn in the trainings to the Spanish program because I am not going to lie, it is completely different than the English program. Also, funny story about the conference, we were watching video's about driving safely, and lo and behold, Elder Chase Larsen was in one of them! I was like, I know him! It was pretty funny. He also served in New York but more western. 

Saturday we had 2 baptisms for the Spanish ward. One for an 8 year old boy and the other for an investigator of the Elders. It was crazy! There were so many people there! And someone forgot they were baking a pizza, and so inbetween the changing of clothes/bearing of testimonies, the fire alarm went off. We all thought someone had pulled it and then we all smelled smoke and started to panic. Luckily it was just burnt pizza. :) 

Saturday was also my mothers birthday! She is SO great! She has been an amazing example to me all of my life of going for what you want. She helped me decide a long time ago that if I wanted to go on a mission, the time was then to prepare. I am thankful to her everyday for this AMAZING experience I am able to have. 

Sunday was Easter! I woke up to candy sent to me from my wonderful aunt Julie and my family. It was a little weird not searching for an Easter basket. ;) In sacrament meeting Sister Evangelista sang a song! Haha I love to sing in the Spanish ward because everyone tells you how lovely it sounded. Where as in the English ward, there are opera singers. I don't think I ever will be singing there. We had a great dinner at the Giffords house and I even made cake balls! Strawberry cake with vanilla icing dipped in white chocolate. A special Easter treat. :) 

Tuesday we had a great district unity game. We called it the humble game. It is where everyone says what they like about everyone. Hahaha we are working on really working together in our ward and things have been a little weird lately so this really helped us realize that we all have strengths and weaknesses and that we need to work together to help this ward be great. 

Today we went to TARGET! I hate that it is fifteen minutes away but out of our area. The next closest target/store with decent prices, is down on 116th. Mostly it just isn't fun because they are out of our area and we can only leave 2 times a cycle. But, it was so fun looking at all the spring clothes! There are a few dresses that I have my eye on! I can't wait for the weather to warm up a little! 

Sister Noll sent me a letter! She updated me on her family as well as Ryan. Tell her thank you so much!

I can't wait for this weekend! We are going to be able to hear from our prophet! One of the questions that I like to ask people is, If Moses was on the earth would you listen to what he had to say? Usually the answer is of course! Then I get the privilege of testifying that I know that God has a prophet here on earth today. That Jesus Christ is the head of our church and that He directs it through His prophets, seers, and revelators in our day. How amazing is this knowledge we have! I invite you all to pray to know that this is Christ's church upon the earth and that President Thomas S. Monson is our prophet, the mouthpiece of God here on the earth today. I know that the Spirit will testify to you of this truth. 

I love this gospel so much. I can't believe how much I have learned in the last 6 months that have changed my life forever. I am so thankful for this amazing opportunity to preach the gospel to the people here in New York and also for the refining of self for me and my future. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week and a wonderful experience listening to the servants of the Lord!! 

Love you all!! 

Love, Hermana Lancaster

No comments:

Post a Comment